CW vs SSB (WKD)
316 x 305
Band slots (CFM) on Clublog x LoTW
2306 x 2226

Sunday 3 November 2013

Wake Island - DX like a dream ....


Wake Island DX-Pedition 2013 started QRV yesterday. I was thinking how to get them and what will be best time to hear them and where of course. This is one of the hardest location from EI to work. Straight over North Pole. When they started I had pleasure to listen them from .... Australia  by using WebSDR radio receiver from VK land link here. And I was surprised how Scandinavian stations are working them during the day on 40m ... Anyway ... We are not Scandinavia and job has to be done ... Antenna for high bands is down, strong wind and gusts today.
We are on opposite side at the moment. When day is here, night is on Wake ,  Grey line is almost the same. Just a bit but closer. We might get condition like during CQWW SSB when K9W will be workable on 28Mhz I wish! But for now middle bands only. During the day here I was listening them from my QTH on 30m. Sometimes signal was good , but pile-up - say nothing ! Half CW portion for 30m was covered by pile-up. Signal was small. Job for dipole on 30m ? Do not thing so ... But happy with SWL ;)
Their operating frequency by the band plan for Wake Island Dx-pedition is 10.103Mhz. For most of the time they were on 10.104 which was better because 10.103 is very noisy and covered by radar QRM. When night was over there on Wake and day was over here in EI K9W was on 10.103 noisy frequency ... but they had no-pile-up! I don`t know what they are using for 30m there. Signal was very tiny. Plus radar QRM no-workable. Decided to use all available filters on my transceiver ... it helps. But after that their signal did not sound like Morse Code ... It was like drum :) Who cares ? Could hear Them! And work them! To be honest .... easy ..... And I did it! New DXCC - Wake Island in my log! On my favourite band!

No comments:

Post a Comment